Friday 12 December 2014

Review: The Lurking Season


The Lurking Season
The Lurking Season by Kristopher Rufty

My rating: 2 of 5 stars




I received a copy of The Lurking Season from the publisher in return for an honest review.

After starting this book I was informed that this story follows on from a previous book, The Lurkers, which I have not read. I dithered on whether I should read the first one before reading any further but I decided that as I had already started, to just go ahead and continue reading. Now that I'm finished I think perhaps I should have read the first one before reading any further.

I enjoyed the book but at the same time I didn't enjoy it. The plot was pretty basic and I didn't feel there was much detail to it, perhaps that's because I haven't read the first book and that covers a lot of what I felt was missing here, I don't know. A lot of the background to the characters was hinted at but not enough for me to connect to them. As far as I can tell the characters in this book are mostly new characters to the story so I didn't miss any more detailed background to them from not reading the first book. I found I wasn't too bothered who survived and who didn't and the dialogue and character interaction didn't draw to me to any of them either.

Despite the problems I had connecting, I still wanted to keep reading and finish the book as I wanted to know how it would all end. I have to admit though I had trouble at times taking the lurkers seriously. Some of the descriptions and scenes made me picture the gremlins and I found the scenes quite humorous as a result, but that's just me. The book does have a few disturbing topics in it however, rape, cannibalism and scenes of violence are all in the story, so it may not be for everyone.

2.5 stars but not enough to round up to 3

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | Goodreads | Leafmarks




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment