Wednesday 24 December 2014

Review: The Donor


The Donor
The Donor by Nikki Rae

My rating: 3 of 5 stars




I received a copy of The Donor (The Full Novella) via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one, I read it pretty fast and it held my attention but there was something missing. Don't get me wrong it was a good plot and had twists to it but it just felt like it needed more. It's a short read but I think it needed expanding, I felt like I was filling in missing parts myself a little. I wanted to know who the characters were previously, who they were as themselves before the situation they found themselves in. I feel it would have made a huge improvement to the story and how I felt about the characters to have gotten to know them a bit better outside of their intertwined story.

The topic in this novella isn't an easy one to write about and it's done well. The way the story is written jumping back and forth portrays the upheaval, fear and confusion of Casey nicely. It gives the impression of scattered thoughts and her mind being a bit all over the place which really works. I don't feel like I got to know Jonah very well at all, there were hints to his background but not enough, he didn't feel real. It felt a little like he was thrown in just to make Casey's character work rather than sharing the story with her, he needed more substance. The romance felt a little rushed, I get that they didn't have much time and it's only 115 pages but I found the chemistry lacking somewhat.

In summary, it was a decent, tragic and unique read with with an underlying message, but I would have loved a little more background to make the characters more substantial.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | Goodreads | Leafmarks




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment