Wednesday 31 December 2014

Review: Dead of Winter


Dead of Winter
Dead of Winter by Brian Moreland

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




I received a copy of Dead of Winter from the publisher in return for an honest review.

I loved the characters in this book, I connected and cared about them very early on and I was right there with them throughout, rooting for them during their struggles. I have a soft spot for anything related to Indian folklore so this book really grabbed my attention and I enjoyed those parts a great deal. The plot wasn't what I was expecting and turned out to be more and better than I originally thought it was going to be on reading the blurb.

The writing style when describing the scenes and the storm was very well done, I could easily picture the cold and the atmosphere the author was projecting. I must be honest and admit that when I first started reading I found myself thinking, oh no this is going to be a zombie story and I am not a fan of most of those. Thankfully it turned out not to be and it went down the path of some of my favourite subjects in horror. Demons, exorcism and Indian lore!

The ending went where I was hoping it would and I was happy with the conclusion of the story. So many books now have cliffhangers or open endings, this one doesn't and I enjoyed it all the more for it. It did take a bit for me to get into the story but I think that's more because I was reading it during the Christmas season than any fault with the story itself.

Dead of Winter is the first of Brian Moreland I have read and I will be reading more from this author. Definitely one I would recommend to fans of horror.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | Goodreads | Leafmarks




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment