Friday 28 November 2014

Review: The Pendle Curse


The Pendle Curse
The Pendle Curse by Catherine Cavendish

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




I received a copy of The Pendle Curse from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Finally a proper witch story! I have been in the mood lately to read about witches and the few that I was recommended weren't really what I was looking for. I jumped at the chance to review this one as soon as I saw witches mentioned in the blurb and I wasn't disappointed.

I recently reviewed another of Catherine's books Saving Grace Devine and really enjoyed it, so I was even more keen to start this as a result. The Pendle Curse is written much in the same way as Saving Grave Devine in that the tale weaves between two time periods that come together wonderfully in the end. The attention to detail when describing the scenes and building and connecting the tales between past and present is very well done. The characters are well developed, the relationships and tension between them are expressed in such a way that you can feel the emotions and tensions building as the story progresses. The story moves at a nice pace and held my attention from start to finish.

The only thing missing from this (thank goodness) was the cliché "Hubble bubble toil and trouble!" It had it all, witches, cauldrons, spells, familiars, curses and more. I really enjoyed this one and ended up reading it in one sitting. I will definitely be reading more from this author in the future.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | Goodreads | Leafmarks




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment