Saturday 29 November 2014

Review: Island of the Forbidden


Island of the Forbidden
Island of the Forbidden by Hunter Shea

My rating: 5 of 5 stars




I received a copy of Island of the Forbidden from the publisher in return for an honest review.

An isolated island with an awful past. A creepy house that's falling to bits on the outside is in perfect condition on the inside despite laying empty for 20 years. The grounds overrun by trees, greenery and the ghosts of over 100 children, and a new family has just moved in. Sounds like a recipe for disaster right?

Island of the Forbidden has it all, ghosts, an evil presence, psychics, creepy dead children, old haunted house, good guys, bad guys, the list goes on. I would have been out of there faster than cake at a weight watchers meeting!

The atmosphere and tension in this book was perfect, I was gripped right from the start and couldn't turn the pages fast enough. The pacing is just right, the tension building slowly as the atmosphere gets darker and creepier before going off the scales as everything comes to a head. Island of the Forbidden is very much a plot driven story, the characters having just enough depth and background for the plot to take the lead. Usually I prefer characters to be a bit more fleshed out but in this case it worked perfectly just as it is. The descriptions made the island, house, and grounds easy to picture in my minds eye and added so much more to the creepiness, especially when picturing the house and all the children.

This was such a good read, I couldn't put it down. I got to get my hands on more books by this author!


Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | Goodreads | Leafmarks



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment