Monday 17 November 2014

Review: The Haunting of Sunshine Girl: Book One


The Haunting of Sunshine Girl: Book One
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl: Book One by Paige McKenzie

My rating: 3 of 5 stars




I received a copy of The Haunting of Sunshine Girl: Book One from the publisher in return for an honest review.

I was drawn to this book because it's written around a series of YouTube videos, I haven't watched any of the videos but the idea intrigued me. The blurb really doesn't give much away in regards to what the story is about, so unless you've watched the videos all you really know before reading is that it's about a girl living in a haunted house. It's so much more than that.

The story revolves around Sunshine and unlike most YA books, the female lead doesn't have boys falling at her feet, she's not pretty or perfect and there's no love triangle or overly mind numbing teenage angst. The first half of the book felt slower than I would have liked. There was plenty happening but I just wanted it to hurry up and get to part where I could really get my teeth into what was happening. I think it was more impatience on my part though because of the other voice in the story, someone who throughout the story is watching Sunshine but who we don't know who until nearer the end.

The characters of the book are well done and each play their own part very well. The overall atmosphere is dark, cold and creepy and I felt so sorry for Sunshine feeling like she did all the time. I enjoyed the plot, I won't go into the plot details as I don't want to spoil it but it was original and held my attention throughout.

I don't know that I enjoyed it enough to want to carry on with the series, like I said before it was slower than I would have liked but that's just my personal preference.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | Goodreads | Leafmarks



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment