Tuesday 11 November 2014

Review: The After House


The After House
The After House by Michael Phillip Cash

My rating: 1 of 5 stars




I received a copy of The After House from the publisher in return for an honest review.

From reading the blurb I was expecting this to be a great creepy and spooky read, a ghost story that would be full of atmosphere and chills. It was nothing like the blurb would have you believe. What I got instead was a mix of romance, predictable mystery and the paranormal with a little humour.

The main character Remy I found really irritating, she allowed herself to be so easily led by others and her decisions and reactions made no sense. The inner dialogue and conversations of Olivia, Remy's 6 year old daughter, were totally wrong for her age. And cmon Remy's mother meets this guy Hugh once and after everything her daughter has been through, she's pressing her to meet what is basically a total stranger. A stranger who within a few minutes of meeting, Remy then falls madly in love with. One thing I hate more than love triangles is people falling head over heels in love within seconds of meeting each other, especially when it's grown ass adults. I get that you have to suspend belief when reading fiction but not this much.

The After House just didn't work for me at all. Yeah I got a few chuckles out of it but overall it didn't live up to the expectations given by the blurb. Nothing came across as believable and I couldn't connect with any of the characters at all.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | Goodreads | Leafmarks



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I'd been looking forward to this, but went into it with lowered expectations after reading your review. You nailed it right on the head. Where the creepy ghost story of the cover blurb went, I don't know, but I couldn't finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame because the cover was amazing and the blurb made it sound so good.

      Delete