Saturday 9 August 2014

Review: Secrets of the Dead: A Novel of Mummies and Ancient Curses


Secrets of the Dead: A Novel of Mummies and Ancient Curses
Secrets of the Dead: A Novel of Mummies and Ancient Curses by Simon Clark

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I received a copy of Secrets of the Dead: A Novel of Mummies and Ancient Curses from the publisher in return for an honest review.

I'm not sure where to start with this review, I enjoyed the story but I felt like something was missing. Don't get me wrong, the characters were for the most part well developed and the setting excellently portrayed, but I feel like there is a lot of things left without explanation.

Had the book been longer and a bit more explanation and back story put into some of the events that took place, and more build up given to the connection between the mummies and the family, I think I would have enjoyed it much more. Although I understand the connection, it felt like the story just skimmed the surface and was rushed, it wasn't really questioned or examined by Jack or Samantha which I found weird considering their profession.

I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunities in the story, the wandering mummies could have been seen by more people and more tension, fear and atmosphere placed into the tale as a result. Johns memories could also have been touched on more to add more depth to his character and story. The events in the first chapter were just shut from his mind for all those years and he didn't seem as affected by the few memories that came back during the story as he should have been.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
You can also find me on: BookLikes



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment