Sunday 20 July 2014

Review: The Vanishing Witch


The Vanishing Witch
The Vanishing Witch by Karen Maitland

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I received a copy of The Vanishing Witch via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

I found this one a little slow to start with and it wasn't what I was expecting from reading the blurb and from the title. I expected this to be a lot more about witchcraft, what I got instead was historical fiction with hints of witchcraft.

That being said, I still enjoyed it enough to finish it. The characters were full of depth, the scenes and descriptions of life in the late 1300's were well done, the struggles, hardship and poverty were also portrayed very well. Superstition also plays a part in the story and I really enjoyed the little snippets of lore and anti-witchcraft charms at the start of each paragraph.

I'm struggling with what to rate this one, I did enjoy it but I found it slow for so long that I actually had to make a point of continuing to read and not move onto something else. I am glad I did stick with it though as I did get more into the story later on, but it wasn't a page turner for me. So with that in mind I think I'm going to settle on 3 and a half stars.


http://scarletaingeal.booklikes.com/



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment